hidden hit counter

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The city is with you, Bob


I usually don't like like to pay special tribute when tragedy strikes a celebrity - it bothers me how they get more attention for their troubles than the average person. However, to me, Bob Gainey is a different kind of a celebrity. He has never taken fame or glory to his head, and he tries as hard as anyone to lead a normal, low-key life.

As well, I can relate to the difficulties he has been through, and it saddened me to find out that he was dealt another serious blow when he found out that it was his daughter, Laura, that had been swept off the Picton Castle and into the Atlantic Ocean. So while I think it is wrong that people wouldn't be as concerned with this tragedy if it didn't involve someone of Bob Gainey's fame, I feel touched that it has happened to a man who seems to have led his life with only the best intentions.

Bob Gainey is widely admired in Montreal for his dedication to the city and to the Canadiens. It is no coincidence that everyone in the Canadiens organization has unanimously offered their support and has shown their solidarity with him while he maintains slim hope for good news. The city is hockey; in these trying times, the city is with you, Bob.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home